With the release of Jenny Lewis’ highly anticipated third solo album, The Voyager, out this week; we thought we’d catch up with the Las Vegas songwriter to see what she’s been listening to this month.
1) The War on Drugs – Red Eyes
Philly represent! Represent! My dad was from Philadelphia. He learned how to play music on a wax harmonica.
2) Angel Olsen – Acrobat
Angel has the most beautiful voice. She reminds me of Karen Dalton, with short bangs.
3) Beat Happening – Our Secret
We covered this on the postal service tour, I played the drums on this cut to 15,000 people in Brooklyn! What were Jimmy and Ben thinking, letting me do that?
4) Bob Marley and the Wailers – Mellow Mood
This is from an amazing comp of early recordings and demos called Fiyah Fiyah. You know what to do to get yourself in a mellow mood, don’t ya?
5) Brandy and Monica – The Boy is Mine
This is one of my favourite songs of all time! I’d love to do a cover of it with dee dee penny of the dum dum girls. But who would sing which part?
6) Califone – On the Steeple with the Shakes (Xmas Tigers)
I love this dude. I love his production and who doesn’t want an Xmas tiger?
7) Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians – What I Am
Yep, I still love this song! And the entire record.
8) Eleanor Friedberger – Inn of the Seventh Ray
I think Eleanor told me that someone suggested she write a song about this infamous Topanga canyon hippie restaurant. Well, done Eleanor and the hummous is delicious, too…
9) Sharon Van Etten – Every Time the Sun Comes Up
Ah, Sharon. Her voice is like the peach melba desert from my favourite restaurant Antoine’s in New Orleans
10) The Felice Brothers – Wonderful Life
This song makes someone I know cry…isn’t it a wonderful life?
11) Parquet Courts – Stoned and Starving
I can’t at all relate to this sentiment
12) Rickie Lee Jones – Chuck E’s in Love
This song is about Chuck E Weiss! Look him up!
Head over to rara now to listen to Jenny Lewis’ playlist.